1. Aim of the game
A game of Caribbean Stud Poker can begin with a starting bet between the minimum and the maximum allowed per table. With a maximum of 7 players at the half-moon-shaped table, you must beat the Bank, represented by the dealer, by getting the best combination of 5 cards.
2. Playing the game
The dealer shuffles a deck of 52 cards in front of the players.
Before each deal, you must place your bet on the table, on the “ANTE” box facing you, also called the initial bet. Optionally, you can also place a bet on the “BONUS*” box. This bet corresponds to 1/5th of the minimum practiced at the table (for example, 2 euros for a 10 minimum table). Bets cannot then be withdrawn or modified.
After shuffling the deck of cards, the dealer announces “No more bets!” and begins dealing the cards from left to right.
The dealer deals 5 cards to each player, as well as to themself, face down. They finish the deal, then turn their last card faceup, in order to give an indication to the players.
The shuffling and dealing procedures may be different when using an electronic “shoe”.
Important: each player must wait until the end of the deal to be able to consult their cards; otherwise, the hand of the impatient player(s) will be considered void! Note also that it is forbidden to talk about your hand to other players, the risk again being that your hand be declared void.
At the end of the deal, each player looks at their hand and decides to fold, to raise, or to buy another card and raise:
- Fold: You lose your initial bet (“ANTE”) and the bonus bet. The dealer then collects your hand and your bets;
- Raise: You must place a bet equivalent to double your initial bet in the “RAISE” box. You then put your cards in the box provided for this purpose;
- Buy another card if you wish to improve your hand: Throw away the card of your choice by laying it face down in front of you and placing the sum corresponding to your initial bet on it. You then place double the amount of your initial bet in the “RAISE” box;
- The dealer collects the card as well as the bet and the BONUS if you have bet on it.
- They then burn the 1st card on top of the deck, and deal you the next one by placing it faceup in front of your bets.
When all players have finished betting and the bought card(s) has been dealt, the dealer turns their cards over to reveal their hand.
3. Analysis of winning hands
- 1st option: the Bank does not qualify because it has no hand. It automatically pays the initial bets of players who raised from right to left. Note that, when the dealer does not qualify, the player who bet on the BONUS and raised, who believes they have a winning combination, announces it aloud and only their cards are turned over (for verification) by the dealer.
- 2nd option: the Bank qualifies, with the minimum Ace-King combination. They compare their hand to that of the players and pay the winning combinations, i.e. combinations better than their own, based on the following payment table:
|2 CARDS OF IDENTICAL FACE VALUE
|1 time the bet
|2 LOTS OF 2 CARDS OF IDENTICAL VALUE
|2 time the bet
|THREE OF A KIND
|3 CARDS OF IDENTICAL FACE VALUE
|3 time the bet
|SEQUENCE OF 5 CONSECUTIVE CARDS
|4 time the bet
|5 CARDS OF THE SAME SUIT
|5 time the bet
|COMBINATION OF THREE OF A KIND AND A PAIR
|7 time the bet
|FOUR OF A KIND
|4 CARDS OF IDENTICAL FACE VALUE
|20 time the bet
|5 SEQUENTIAL CARDS OF THE SAME SUIT
|50 time the bet
|STRAIGHT OF THE SAME SUIT FEATURING 10, JACK, QUEEN, KING AND ACE
|100 time the bet
The “BONUS” allows the player, for an additional bet, to receive a payout in addition to the payment of their winning raise, on the condition of having in their hand a combination at least equal to the “flush” and of not having bought an additional card (loss of the BONUS).
- If the dealer does not qualify, the gain is acquired for the player who bet on the “BONUS” and raised. The player then must announce to the dealer that they believe they have a winning hand and, after checking their hand, the dealer will proceed with payment.
- If the dealer qualifies, and the player has a higher hand, the dealer proceeds to the payment of their bets: ANTE, RAISE, then the BONUS.
If the dealer qualifies, and the player has a lower hand, they do not receive the “BONUS” and lose their bet.
Payment of the “BONUS” is made according to the scale below:
|100 time the bet
|150 time the bet
|FOUR OF A KIND
|1 000 time the bet
|2 000 time the bet
|5 000 time the bet